What Is Lyme Disease?
According to the NSW Government (Australia), Lyme Disease is defined as: a tick-borne infection caused by bacteria in the Borrelia burgdorferi sensu lato group.
The first symptom is usually a characteristic pink or red rash that starts as a small red spot that gradually spreads in a much larger circle with a characteristic bulls-eye appearance called erythema migrans. This normally happens between 3 and 32 days after being bitten by an infected tick. Not everyone with Lyme disease gets the rash. There may also be fever, headaches, tiredness. Joint pains are particularly prominent with infections acquired in North America.
If left untreated, the Lyme disease infection can spread through the bloodstream and can cause infection in the brain and membranes surrounding the brain (meningo-encephalitis) and infection in or around the heart (endocarditis, myocarditis or pericarditis). The disease can also cause inflammation of joints and cause joint pain and long-term neurological symptoms.
Lyme Literate Psychology
Dr Melissa’s Lyme Literate Psychology modality encompasses :
- Evidence based, Lyme Literate psychological assessment of clients with internationally acquired Lyme Disease via measures such as The Neuropsychiatric Lyme Assessment (Robert C Bransfield, MD), The Common Symptom 61-Item Assessment* (Bransfield et al., 2020), The 24-Item Assessment (Bransfield et al., 2020) and The Full Clinical Assessment (Bransfiled et al., 2020).
- Individually tailored psychological support for clients.
- A safe space to discuss concerns, feel heard and understood.
- The option of in person or Telehealth appointments (i.e., Zoom or phone) for national and international clients.
* Bransfiled, R. C.: Aidlen, D.M.;Cook, M.J.;Javia, S. A Clinical Diagnostic System for Late-Stage Neuropsychiatric Lyme Borreliosis Based upon an Analysis of 100 Patients. Healthcare. 2020 8(1), 13
Lyme Disease Consultation – Fees and Rebates
The cost of a Lyme Disease consult is $250 AUD. This fee attracts a rebate of $128.40 AUD with a Mental Health Care Plan (MHCP) from a GP or Psychiatrist.
For clients without a MHCP, private health rebates may apply.
A referral is not essential to make an appointment.
Lyme Disease Consult – Bookings
For all enquiries and to make a booking please contact reception on +61 2 9016 5389.